I have recently been looking at the blogs of many of my friends or accquaintances and everyone is so creative, crafty, sewing, or other such things. It got me thinking about how not so crafty I am, or not so creative and I certainly don't sew. Thank goodness for some nice ladies in my ward who put together a cute quiet book and made one for Chloe. I really wanted Chloe to have one, but there was no way I was going to be able to participate and make a page after just having her. When I received the quiet book it made me feel even less creative/crafty, etc. I think every page had the activity sewn to it and when I realized that, it was definitely a good thing I didn't participate because I don't have a sewing machine and my page would not have even been near as cute as all the others. Now the next predicament is how on earth am I going to bind the book together if I don't have a sewing machine. Poor Chloe might just have a ghetto quiet book. Oh well!
As many of you know we are LDS and I feel like if I am a stay at home LDS mom I need to become crafty or sew or something. Well, I have NO desire to sew, so that is definitely not going to happen. We will just continue to buy our clothes...good thing I have a slight addiction to Gymboree so Chloe will always look cute, because I have a feeling if I sewed her clothes, things might turn out a little funky! I kind of want to become crafty, but not sure where to start.
I will say I have 4 things that I would like to do right now:
1. Buy a piano and get back into practice ( I took lessons for about 10 years and then fell out of practice when I went to college and didn't have a piano to practice on)
2. Teach junior college part time ( I would love to teach people how to be teachers! Maybe try to somewhat tell them what it is really like in the classroom.)
3. Be a personal shopper! I am very good at shopping, finding the best deals, putting outfits together, efficient, and I love to do it! (They do have personal shoppers at various malls, I just need to look into it!) (This one was recommended by my mom!)
4. Start my own small on location catering business. I worked for The Kyle House (www.thekylehouse.com) in Bryan/College Station while I was going to A&M and it was a lot of fun! We had all kinds of events, business meetings/conferences, weddings, receptions, baby/wedding showers, graduation parties, etc. I LOVE to make finger foods/appetizers, different punches, and desserts. If I ever do this I would do it the way the lady did it that catered our wedding reception. She charged by the platter (small and large) instead of by the person. I think it is more reasonable that way.
Anyways...those are just some thoughts I've been having recently!
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Creativity and a lack thereof
Posted by Brooke and Ryan Steed at 3:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think it is so cool that you play the piano! I wish I knew how. So here is my idea, you should do the catering thing (which sounds awesome, and I love the price per platter idea) to earn money to buy a piano AND THEN you could teach lessons! Whats more mormon mommy than that?! Plus then Chloe would be guaranteed an amazing teacher and a beautiful talent!
All of your ideas are fabulous. I would be much more inclined toward a list like that than sewing! When we're making the big $ you can be my personal shopper! Ha!
I want you to know that I firmly believe that just because we are LDS moms does not mean we are required to sew and be crafty. Sure it's fun for those that enjoy that type of thing, but if that's not what makes us happy then why put that pressure on ourselves? It took me a long time to realize that I just wasn't that girl. You are amazing without knowing how to sew. :)
I was just talking to a friend last night how I always dreamed of having a business where people would call me in the morning and ask me what to wear. I put other people's outfits together very nicely...dressing myself? Not so easy for me! Also, being a personal shopper was one of my dreams too. So funny you said that you wanted to do that as well!
Maybe you can make some good food for the nice girls in your ward and in exchange they can finish Chloe's quiet book. ;)
Just duct tape the book. They have Duct tape any many different colors now.
Go for the piano and work up to the Organ. We need more Organist in the church. Ones like your mom, who play it fast and loud. I love visiting your ward when she plays.
Post a Comment