Saturday, May 18, 2013

Jaxon's Birth Story

May 8th – (38 wks 5 days), We had another sono today and you were approximately 9.2 lbs! YIKES! There is a margin of error of 1lb up or down. Your little head was wedged down low up against my inner thigh, which made it hard for the sonographer to get an accurate meausurement. I went upstairs to see Dr. Hays and she started to do an exam and I was asking her to explain the whole c-section process to me and then she said, “Just a second, let me concentrate on your exam and then we'll talk.” I thought that was a little odd, bc normally she just talks through the whole thing and this time she didn't. When she was finished she said, “You are a good 4cm! Wanna have a baby today?” I was SHOCKED! I said, “no, not really” and Dr. Hays said, “Yes, let's have a baby today!” and started jumping up and down. I was NOT prepared for this to happen! She told me to quickly get dressed and come out of the room and we would talk about what was going to happen. I immediately sent Ryan a quick email and said to leave work NOW, and then sent texts to my parents and siblings telling them to LEAVE NOW! I talked to Dr. Hays and she said to go over and check in to L&D and the c-section would most likely be mid-late afternoon. I went to the car and made numerous phone calls to get someone to pick Chloe up from pre-school and keep her for the afternoon, called Ryan, called the preschool to tell them who was picking up Chloe, called my parents, called Ross and Hillary. After spending like 30 minutes on the phone, I finally drove over to the hospital! I got checked in about 11:30 and they put me on the monitors. In the meantime I was just hanging out and draining the battery in my phone. Ryan came home and gathered up stuff for us and Chloe and then headed to the hospital. My parents also gathered up stuff and headed to the hospital too. Everyone was there by 1pm. We got word that the c-section would be at 3:30. My sweet L&D nurse explained the whole process to me and made me feel good about the situation. The Anesthesiologist even came in to see if I was in pain and wanted the epidural earlier. I told him no thank you and that I was not in pain. 3:30 came and Dr. Hays wasn't there yet and then about 3:45-3:55, Dr. Hays called and we all started to walk down to the OR. Pa Pa, and Daddy went to the waiting room and Gigi and I and the L&D nurse walked into the OR. I got onto the table and they started to administer the epidural. Then shortly after, they started the c-section. Jaxon Cooper Steed was born at 4:15pm, weighing 8lbs 2 oz and 19 ¾ inches long! You came out screaming really good, which helped clear out your lungs. The 2 nurses immediately started caring for you and then the Dr. Hays and the other staff finished up the c-section. Once the c-section was over, we took some pictures in the OR and then I went to recovery for about 1.5 hours. When we were in the recovery area, that's when Pa Pa and Daddy first got to see you and hold you! Daddy also gave you your first bottle! After our time was up there, they moved me to a post partum room upstairs! The whole time we were in the hospital we had wonderful nurses who cared for us and made sure we had everything we needed! Aunt Hillary, Uncle Ross, cousin Lizzie, and your big sis Chloe came to visit you on Thursday afternoon! Everyone loved you so much and took turns holding you! Thursday night Heather came to visit us and brought balloons! She was so nice and even changed your diaper while I was laying down and Daddy went home. Then on Friday night Ali came to visit and while she was holding you, you spit up on her! Ha ha Good thing she has twins and wasn't phased by it! Everyone loves you SO much and we are so glad that you are here safe and sound! (I have to say that it was a little weird to be aware and alert during the surgery and hear all the different noises. Then the weirdest part was when they transferred me from one bed to another and made me feel like I was going to drop! I didn't like that part one bit!)

1 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for sharing! And it all makes sense to know that the doctor was late. (I was stalking my phone that afternoon waiting for word!)