Well, the school year has officially started and is underway. I started a full week of staff development and meetings on August 18th and man was I ever dreading that. I had totally and completely enjoyed every last minute of my entire summer and did NOT want to be at work. I mean I got to sleep in every morning, work out, and lounge around the rest of the day, go on vacations, and other various fun things! Who would want to go back to work after all that????? Monday and Tuesday were full of meetings and working in my room a little, then Wednesday came and that was Convocation at this huge Baptist church in Rockwall. All summer I had heard that this years speaker was huge and that is why last years speaker was a dud because they had to save up for this years speaker. Well, boy were they ever right! The theme for Convocation and the district's theme for the school year is "Unwritten" and all about how at the beginning of the school year each child comes to us wanting us to help them write that unwritten chapter in their story. Well, this years Convocation speaker was Miss. Erin Gruwell herself! If this name does not ring a bell for anyone I will tell you who she is. The teacher in the movie Freedom Writers is named Erin Gruwell (played by Hillary Swank in the movie) and that is who spoke at Convocation!!!!!!!! She told all about her first year of teaching with that special group of students, their troubles and how they overcame them, and she told stories of how she still keeps in touch with some of them. It was a great time and really did give me some inspiration and more encouragement to start the school year. Now I know and feel more confident that I will help my sweet little students write that next unwritten chapter in their story.
| Freedom Writers (2007) Starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey based on the book "The Freedom Writers Diary" | |||||
| Reel Face: | Real Face: | ||||
|
| ||||




The rest of the week was filled with some more meetings and then Friday was a day just for us to work in our rooms and get things ready for the first day of school! Our school's theme this year is "Diving for Knowledge", so everything is decorated with fish, sand, water, etc.. Monday, August 25th 22 4th graders entered my classroom for the first time to start a brand new school year! We did a lot of things like sort out school supplies, go over rules, I read "1st Day Jitters" to them, worked on some 1st day fun pages, and other various things. On Tuesday and Wednesday we did some more fun things and then Thursday it was early release for Open House that night! Well, starting Wed. afternoon I started to have serious trouble with my allergies and then it got worse on Thursday, so I decided to head to the doctor. I had pretty much decided that I had a sinus infection and sure enough I did. I knew I had to go to Open House if at all possible, so I did the best I could. I felt bad because I had to speak in front of all of the 4th grade parents (because we are departmentalized and have all the kids) and I know I sounded terrible. By the time I made it home Thurs. night I was feeling AWFUL, so my mom convinced me to get a substitute and I stayed home on Friday. I hated to miss a day the first week of school, but I did not have a choice. Now I am almost feeling all the way better. Thank goodness for a 3 day weekend! I do have to thank my wonderful husband for taking such good care of me and being there for my every need and want while I've been sick! Thank you dear, I love you!
Ryan also insisted that he take a 1st day of school picture of me. So here it is.....
I will post some pics of my classroom as soon as I take them!
Not the best picture, it is a little blurry.

1 comments:
I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. Chandler's teacher was out on Friday of last week and has been out all this week. She was there a little bit today Chandler said but he's had a substitute all week! Kind of weird I thought but oh well. Maybe that's why his behavior has been a little off and he's been extra chatty? I don't know. Anyway, hope you are feeling better, I am sure you are a great teacher!
Post a Comment